Monday, June 9, 2008

Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

2 Corinthians 12

I've been pondering this issue for some time now. I am welcoming everyones feedback on the issue. Please back it up with scripture if possible. I am very interested in seeing what everyone believes. I am not trying to argue, I would simply like some others thoughts on the issue.

My Study-
I grew up learning "Paul's Thorn in his Flesh" to mean different things. Never did I look into it until now. My recent study by examining the scriptures (Not listening to anyone else) revealed that, Everywhere in the Bible that the word "Thorn" was used, it was either (1) in the context of what it is; a sticker bush. And (2) in the context of a person who is persecuting another person. Not once did it mention sickness or anything related. So then why is it that we are told that the "Thorn in the flesh" refers to some sort of sickness. Is it because we look at the word flesh and think that that refers to "physical"? A popular saying in our day and time is, "I'd give that guy the shirt off my back." or "I'd give my right arm for that guy" Would I really or am I trying to make a statement? If you review the Old testament in the places that "Thorn" was used (it refers) to a person or group of people that were so annoying or cause trouble. Now that makes more sense when you look at verse 10. (That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.) in INSULTS, in HARDSHIPS, in PERSECUTIONS, in DIFFICULTIES. Wow, do these sound like effects of a Sickness or the effects of People? You make up your own mind.

Flesh is mentioned in the bible as:
(1) Skin; meat of the body - or food
(2) Body; such as driven by the 5 senses - Fleshly desires
(3) Christ's Body
(4) Man & Women become one
(5) My flesh - my own strength
(6) flesh & blood - relationship to another
(7) Raw flesh - priest pronounced him unclean. Only possible 2 cases of about 150 does flesh relate to #7. But by reading Paul's letter we can conclude that he is referring to #5

When Paul uses the word "Flesh" that is a term he says we are to put off daily. As a Christian, we are Spirit, Soul and Body. We live in a physical "natural" realm, and Paul constantly tells us to live by the "supernatural". That is why he refers to in our weakness, He is made strong. When we put off our fleshly desires, God is made strong. That's why God says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Paul refers to his Thorn as a messenger of satin. (an angle of satin) Now we know sickness is not always satin, some cases it is, but it's mostly natural, but we also understand they are related, for sickness and death entered in after the sin came on the earth. Sickness is sometimes in conjunction with demons, but not always. BUT in this context, this angle of satin is brought to bring torment? Why? Paul says, from being conceited. Satin's work is done through people, the same as God's work is done through His people. (Just another thought, If Paul is considered a Disciple, and Jesus gave his Disciples Power & Authority over ALL Sickness & Disease even Death, AND we know that God's will is to Heal ALL, why did Paul ask for God to remove this (questionable sickness) from him? ...Unless it had nothing to do with sickness)

Now if you can understand the mentality of the apostles, they did not "Ask God to heal anyone," they commanded! (we are the ones with that mentality, to ASK God for healing) They did as Jesus told them, to go out and (Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.) There was NO asking. Jesus gave it to us as His Authority. He told us to command for what he paid for. Our Authority. So why would Paul "Ask God" for something he gave him already? However, we do not have Authority over another's will. God gave free will to all men. BUT God can change circumstances to help a person to change their mind, right? So that makes sense to ask God to take away, that what Paul had no Authority over. We were promised persecution for following Jesus. Persecution from others is Paul's THORN.

Paul used to persecute the church, he used to live his life as a pharasi-all righteous and without blame, but now he has all the Power that the "Super Apostles" had. To drive out demons, raise the dead, and heal everyone. That is some Power!

I need to inforce this. Most of you don't know about John Alexander Dowie. A great healer who lived in the 1800's. He was a great man of faith. Used by God tramendously! BUT sadly towards the end of his life he called himself Elijah. Strange what conceitedness can turn you into. Perhaps Paul's Thorn was actually a blessing!

Out of all these verses I like verse 12 the best. Yet sadly we hardly see "signs, wonders and miracles" any more. Did they die with the apostles? No. Out of all the churches in the world, there is about 1% who operate in these manifestations of the Holy Spirit. It was a price that was paid for us, yet we just choose not to claim it.
-----------------------------------
2 Corinthians 12 NIV
Paul's Vision and His Thorn
1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord.
2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.
5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.
6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say. 
7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.
8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul's Concern for the Corinthians
11 I have made a fool of myself, but you drove me to it. I ought to have been commended by you, for I am not in the least inferior to the "super-apostles," even though I am nothing.
12 The things that mark an apostle—signs, wonders and miracles—were done among you with great perseverance.

---------------
2 Corinthians 12 KJV
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
11 I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.
12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
-----------------------------------
NIV Word Check- "THORN"
Thorn is usually accompanied with Brier. Most cases THORNS and BRIERS refer to PEOPLE. This can even be backed up in the 10th verse when Paul says "in insults, hardships, persecution and difficulties". NEVER in the Bible does it mention a thorn to be a SICKNESS or and DISEASE.
Numbers 33
55 " 'But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will become barbs in your eyes and thorns in your sides. They will give you trouble in the land where you will live.
-------
Joshua 23
13 then you may be sure that the LORD your God will no longer drive out these nations before you. Instead, they will become snares and traps for you, whips on your backs and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land, which the LORD your God has given you.
-------
Judges 2
3 Now therefore I tell you that I will not drive them out before you; they will be thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you."
-------
2 Samuel 23
6 But evil men are all to be cast aside like thorns, 
       which are not gathered with the hand.
-------
Isaiah 27
4 I am not angry. 
       If only there were briers and thorns confronting me! 
       I would march against them in battle; 
       I would set them all on fire.
-------
Ezekiel 2
6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house.
-------
Ezekiel 28
24 " 'No longer will the people of Israel have malicious neighbors who are painful briers and sharp thorns. Then they will know that I am the Sovereign LORD.
-------

INFIRMITIES

If you are one of those people fixated on the word "Infirmities" You should look into the biblical definition of the word.

Definitions from: (www.studylight.org)

1. want of strength, weakness, infirmity
a. of the body
1. its native weakness and frailty
2. feebleness of health or sickness
b. of the soul
1. want of strength and capacity requisite
c. to understand a thing
d. to do things great and glorious
e. to restrain corrupt desires
f. to bear trials and troubles

And if you still are set in your thoughts on it being a sickness, read this next verse and tell me why the Lord is sick?

Jeremiah 10:19 (NKJ)
2. Thus says the LORD:

19. Woe is me for my hurt!
My wound is severe.
But I say, “Truly this is an infirmity,
And I must bear it.”

1 comment:

Bakers said...

Frank,

Great post. It is even more clear when you read 2 Cor. 11 and then 2 Cor. 12. Read it in the NIV and look for how he uses the word "weakness" in those two chapters.

Paul's thorn is clearly demonic persecution at the hands of men, you nailed it.

We were not redeemed from persecution, our following Jesus actually guarantees it to some degree.

We love your heart. Keep going for it.

Thanks,

Jim Baker